Monday, May 14, 2012

A Seashell Frame with Added Flare

Last week I purchased an ugly  hideous frame at the Goodwill.  It didn't have much going for it other than an interesting shape and a low price, but I had a vision.  I also had a couple of bags of seashells and some vintage jewelry.  The frame was a good quality wood and it had a nice secure hanger on the back that looked like it would be able to support some added weight. 
I don't know exactly how to describe this style, but maybe 1995 little boy's bathroom is a good description.  Even with the loud colors, it was perfect for me because the frame was wide and would hold lots of shells. 
  
This is the frame after my first coat of primer.  After the second coat, it was nice and white.  Since I knew I would be completely covering the frame with shells, I didn't bother putting a final coat on the frame.
The jewelry and the seashells were thrift store finds from weeks ago.  Anytime I can buy small items really inexpensively, I pick them up.  I try not to get my craft room over-crowded with this type miscellaneous stuff, but I have found that seashells and rhinestones get used pretty quickly.  Some little items should be picked up when you see them, even if you don't have a project in mind yet.  If you love it, and you are not featured on the show Hoarders, then go ahead and pick it up and pack it away. (Just remember where you put it.)  Anyways, after about twenty minutes of hot gluing my fingers seashells to the frame, I had my finished project.
I am happy with the way it turned out and it is now currently listed on e-bay.  If this item doesn't sell, I plan to take a beautiful picture with my son on our trip to Myrtle Beach at the end of this month and use the frame to hold that memory.  

No comments:

Post a Comment